In the heat of summer, cooling off sounds nice. Maybe you cool off with a dip in the pool or sitting in the shade. Maybe you turn up the AC or fan.
The cooling need not end with you. Adding a little cool to your music sessions can be a delight for young and old.
Here are 10 cool session ideas you can use.
Dig out those snow and winter songs. Memories of winter might add cooling “snow” of fun.
- Hold a winter sing along in your senior living.
- Share some winter songs in preschool.
- Have a snowball fight with cotton balls.
Sucking on ice or holding it on our necks can cool us. So, let’s cool things down in our sessions with a little ice.
- Go (pretend) ice skating. Preschoolers can skate around on paper plates. (Seniors can skate their feet while seated to decrease the chance of falls.) Play the “Skater’s Waltz“.
- Share songs that mention ice.
- “Ice, Ice Baby”: Vanilla Ice
- “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm”
#3. Ice cream
For many, ice cream is a wonderful summer treat.
- Consider making some homemade ice cream.
- Hold an ice cream tasting party.
- Sing songs that mention ice cream. They include:
- “I Scream, You Scream – We All Scream for Ice Cream”
- “Ice Cream Cone”: The Laurie Berkner Band
#4. Cool Drinks
This is likely an “adult only” topic. You’ll find song ideas over on Session Cafe in this post.
Maybe you aren’t in a situation where you can take a trip to the pool or a pond. But you can gather there in song.
- There are songs for all ages in Summer Songs
- Plan an intergenerational group that is Down By the Pond.
- Senior living can take a musical trip to the river.
- Those working in senior living can become Session Cafe members. There you can access Dipping into Water Themes and many other resources.
#6. Summer Breeze
- Add a little cool breeze with some slow parachute moves in a session.
- Enjoy singing “Summer Breeze” in a senior living session.
- Share stories of the days before AC when people placed:
- Damp towels in front of open windows.
- A bowl of ice in front of a fan.
#7. In the Cool of the Evening
Talk about camping and night time activities. This intergenerational session starter might just do the trick.
Sing songs of the night.
- In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening.
- Good night Sweetheart
#8. Movie theme
Many years ago, the movie theaters were one of the few places with AC. Cool off watching movies. Better yet, sing songs from favorite movies.
#9. Bare Footin’
For many, going bare foot is a summer thing. Maybe it is time to remove the shoes and socks and explore the feet. Offer foot massages and a song. Sing songs that mention going barefoot. Two that jump to mind are “Bare Footin” and the theme song to “Barefoot in the Park“.
Slowly sing the alphabet song and write the letters on the floor with your feet.
#10. Cool foods
Sing songs about foods you eat cold (fruits, salad). A starter list might include:
- (I Like to Eat) Apples and Bananas
- Yes, We Have No Bananas
- Go Bananas
Eat some Fruit (to: Clementine)
Eat some fruit. Eat some fruit. Eat some fruit every day.
I ate a strawberry and I liked it.
I ate a strawberry today.
Other fruits: apple, orange, banana, watermelon
What cool sessions are you planning for the summer? Share them in the comments below.