Sometimes its fun to have a theme song for a month. The perfect one for July is an old folk tune: “Old Blue”.
Month long celebrations for July include National Blueberries Month and Dog Days. Blueberries are an opportunity to celebrate all things blue. The Dog Days of summer are an opportunity to sing about dogs.
Why “Old Blue”?
In this song, Blue is the dog’s name. It can be sung when celebrating National Blueberries Month and Dog Days. Some older adults will recognize this old folk song. Having a chorus makes it easy to sing. Boomers may remember it from their elementary music class days. Teaching folk songs to younger generations is a way to share history.
Back in 2011, Music Sparks hosted a blue challenge. As a part of the challenge, a long list of blue songs for use in senior living were shared.
For preschoolers, consider:
- Mary Wore Her Red Dress: Change it up to blue. Sing about other clothing items that can be blue.
- Blue Bird, Blue Bird: A song game you can play and sing.
- Try song of the song Rachel Rambach shared for the Blue Challenge in A Blue Kind of Day.
You’ll find dog theme ideas in:
- Dog Day Celebrations: Songs for young, old and both together
- Singable Book: “Hip Hop Dog”: A fun book to sing with children
- Pets – The Purr-fect Conversation Starter: Ideas for getting young, old and both together sharing about pets.