The “eyes” have it in June as month-long observances include Vision Research Month, Children’s Vision Awareness, and Cataract Awareness Month. Here are some songs and discussion ideas for senior living communities.
The eyes have a warm-up
A few websites share ideas for eye exercises. The following are a post on Dr. Oz titled “3 Ways to Improve Vision naturally” by Mao Shing Ni, L.Ac., D.O.M., PhD . The music recommendations are my own.
Make sure that hands are clean when performing these exercises.
Music recommendation for exercises 1-4:
1. Warm your eyes. Rub your palms together to create heat, andthen place them against your eyes for five seconds. Repeat this three times.2. Roll your eyes. Start by looking up and then slowly circle 10 times clockwise and 10 times counterclockwise.
3. Focus. Hold a pen at arm’s length, focus your eyes on it, and slowly bring the pen closer until it’s about 6 inches away from your nose. Then slowly move it back, keeping your eyes focused on the pen, 10 times in all.
4. Massage your temples. Using your thumb knuckles, massage your temples in small circles, 20 times in one direction and 20 in the other. Repeat the same actions above the mid-point of the eyebrows at the forehead, then below the eyes on both sides of the bridge of the nose.
Music recommendation for the final exercise:
5. Take a mini-nap. Put your head back, close your eyes, and relax for 3 minutes.
The eyes have songs
- Ma, He’s Making Eyes at Me
- Beautiful Brown Eyes
- The Eyes of Texas