A lot of us find ourselves in a pickle from time to time. We step into something we didn’t expect, something doesn’t work, or the life delivers a load of pickles into our life. It could also be the challenge of playing In A Pickle. (While I’ve never played this game it sounds challenging.)
National Pickle Day is just around the corner (November 14). Here are my ideas for observing the day.
- Hold a tasting of various types and brands of pickles. Vote for the favorite.
- Adults might enjoy reading and discussing the “Pickles Comic Strip“. What is the pickle the family is in today?
- While we generally think first of cucumbers being pickled, many things can be. List, taste, explore other pickled products. (If you need a starter, try this ChowHound discussion or this Pinterest board.)
- Children might enjoy the classic Marc Brown book “Pickle Thing”. (This book is no longer in print, so check your library and used book stores.)
While I was able to locate the lyrics for the National Pickle Day Song, music seems to be lacking. For that reason, I’ve done my best to gather a few pickle songs. (What fun is it to celebrate without music!?)
- Arlo Guthrie’s Motorcycle song
- Try sing this “I Like Pickles” commercial from the UK
- The Pickle Songby Jim Cosgrov is my intergenerational favorite.
Have a fun time being in a pickle!