National Pet Day is April 11th. Preschoolers often enjoy talking about their pets or sharing what pets they would like to have. While most people think of dogs and cats, many other animals can be pets. Pet songs can be a wonderful way to explore the options.
There are some fun story songs with pets available in picture book format:
- How Much Is That Doggie in the Window? by Iza Trapani and Bob Merrill
- Fiddle-i-fee available by many folks.
- Posy by Linda Newbery and Catherine Rayner
There are many other fun songs that list pets including;
- Laurie’s Gor a Pig on Her Head (insert various pets)
- Hey Diddle-Diddle
- There Was a Little Turtle
- The Old Grey Cat
- Silly Sam the Sneaky Snake
- There Was a Taylor Had a Mouse
- Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone
- Pop Foes the Weasel
- Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing
- Six Little Ducks
- Pet Store (an original by Randy Sauer)
Consider reading “The Perfect Pet” by Margie Palatini. Follow it with this simple song to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell:
The perfect pet for me, for me would be,
The perfect pet for me would be a _____________.
Children could insert the type of animal along with its color (brown hamster) or name (cat named Al) or something it liked (dog that likes to walk).
Pull out the pet songs and have some fun dreaming and exploring. What is your favorite pet song?