I give you “Trees”
One of my favorite books as an adult is the children’s book “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein. At a time of year when many fir and pine trees are cut for holiday decoration, I think of all the things trees provide:
- a place for birds, squirrels, and other animals to nest;
- fruits and nuts;
- shade from the sun;
- materials for buildings and furniture;
- paper, cardboard.
The list goes on. But what does that have to do with December, you ask?
As I shared last year, older adults have often shared their interest in singing songs other than Christmas ones in December. The following list is one you can use for a sing-along or name that tune to take a break from holiday music this month. You can also use this list on Arbor Day.
Here are the tree songs:
- Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree
- O Christmas Tree
- Lemon Tree
- Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree
- I Talk to the Trees
- Trail of the Lonesome Pine
Here are some songs that mention trees but not in the title:
- Rattlin’ Bog
- Oh Jolly Playmate
- Autumn Leaves
- I’ll Be with You in Apple Blossom Time
- California Dreaming
What songs would you add to these lists? Please share them in the comments below.