Sunday, November 13th is World Kindness Day. Random acts of kindness are wonderful every day. Sometimes kindness is tangible like providing food or shelter. Other times it is being present, holding a hand. Kindness can be shown in many ways making it a great topic for conversation.
Here are a few songs that may be appropriate for stimulating the conversation on issues around sharing kindness. I’ve included a few questions or ideas for each song to help get the conversation rolling. This list is most appropriate for use with older adults. A couple of songs from the 60″s and 70’s that received a lot of airplay are included. Select two or three song based upon the musical preferences of the person/people with whom you are sharing.
- Do you think people need “kindness” when they experience hard times? Why or why not?
- Can you provide some examples of the ways kindness could be demonstrated to the people in this song?
- What is meant by “troubled water” in the song?
- What help is being offered?
- What helps you get over the “blues”?
- Does it help when people tell you to stop crying?
- What role does caring for yourself have on sharing kindness?
- Would people treating others with kindness create the type of world described in these lyrics?
- What roles do memories and prayers play in kindness for you?
- Depending on the group, it may be appropriate to share research finding on the power of prayer.
- Is it always kind to spread joy? Why or why not?
- How does it make you feel when others smile at you?
- When you smile?
- What ideas does this song provide for how we can show kindness?
Here is a little musical motivation for you the reader to spread a little kindness today: