Many of us have memories of magicians pulling things out of their black hat. If you are a boomer you likely have this sound track from “Bullwinkle” in your memories.
Upon hearing the Assisted Living Week theme “The Magic of Music”, I knew I had to include the line “watch me pull some music out of my hat.”
There are moments in eldercare when you feel you are figuratively pulling songs out of a hat. Suddenly, a person remembers a song. Often it is snippets of lyrics. At other times it is the melody. Yet, others times a song comes pouring forth.
- Color Inspired Drumming
- A tune to use for a lyric writing activity. A few ideas for this are:
- She’ll be Coming Round the Mountain
- If I Knew You Were Comin’ I’d Have Baked a Cake
- You are My Sunshine
- The Way You Do the Things You Do
- Songs to sing as a group. Write favorite songs on index cards. Place the cards in the hat. Take turns drawing out the cards, singing the songs as they are selected.
- Questions and statements for the participants to complete.