The National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL) has created a wonderful resources for the week. In it they state:
Art for the Ages
is an opportunity to share, enjoy and to congratulate
the mastery of art, music, sports, and the development
of skill. Assisted Living communities around the country will be celebrating, remembering, and showing their talents together…
All of us are affected by arts. From the food we eat, the music we listen to, the photos we take, the paintings we view, art surrounds us. The list of arts shared in the NCAL booklet are so fun! Besides the usual visual and performing arts they include politics, motor art, tai-chi, food plating (just to name a few).
As music is the soundtrack of much of our lives, I have created some grouping of songs around various forms of art. A big thank you to two big contributors via Facebook to this list – Elizabeth Buckmaster and Jonathan Gardner.
Songs about wearable art:
- Easter Bonnet
- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
- Putting on the Ritz
- Top Hat, White Tie and Tails
Songs about photography:
- Times of Your Life – This was used on a Kodak commercial
- Photographs and Memories – Jim Croce Speaks about times past remembered through items
- Picture on the Wall – Carter Family
- She Got You – A Patsy Cline song about lost love remembered through a photo and records.
Music about works of art:
- Vincent (Starry Starry Night)
- Mona Lisa
- Pictures at an Exhibition (classical music for listening rather than singing)
- If (a picture paints a thousand words)
Music about literature:
- Paperback Writer (the Beatles)
- Love Letters in the Sand
- If I Knew You Were Coming I’d Have Baked a Cake (Food)
- Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor (Statue)
There are so many other songs that could be added. Put those you think people in assisted living facilities would appreciate in the comments below along with any additional thoughts for celebrating “Arts For the Ages”.