Nursing Home

Nursing Home (Photo credit: LOLren)

According to a 2009 US Department of Health & Human Services report, in 2004 an estimated 1.5 million people received care in nursing homes. Of those, 88% were age 65 or older and 71% were woman.

Aging as a male in the US must have some unique challenges. Chances are you are surrounded by woman as your peers and are assisted by woman employees if you reside in a facility. With all these women, there are (with good reason) a number of group activities geared to appeal to woman like manicures. That’s not to say a man can’t enjoy a manicure. Some do! But, the conversations that occurs during it may be different.

Translate these numbers into most of my groups in assisted living and you’ll find participants are mostly women. The men in attendance may be few, but they still deserve their recognition. With Father’s Day around the corner, let’s hear it for the men!

Last year I shared a list of 11 songs about men in Men in Song. This year I wanted to share a few more songs about men. Most are ones boomers night recognize. They would serve as a great conversation starter on types of fathers and types of men.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

What are your favorite ways to include men in your groups?

14 thoughts on “Let’s Hear It for the Men!

• 1 June, 2012 at 7:07 pm

You make a great point about what it’s like to be a man in a nursing home! My favorite group ever was Crops and Coffee at a rural nursing home. Sometimes the sons would take the men out to see the crops in person.
    Rachelle Norman recently posted..“Still a Child” – A Caregiver’s SongMy Profile

• 1 June, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Great idea! Both the men & women who were farmers ask me about how the fields are looking.

• 2 June, 2012 at 6:52 am

Sounds like your mother knows herself and her limits.

• 3 June, 2012 at 10:45 am

My favorite group ever was Crops and Coffee at a rural nursing home. Sometimes the sons would take the men out to see the crops in person. Thanks for sharing.
    Julia recently posted..How to Make a Solar PanelMy Profile

• 3 June, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Sounds like you and Rachelle have similar experiences, Julia.

• 3 June, 2012 at 10:47 am

I have heard from my mom that a few men have tried to get into her good graces (she is 92!) as she is still able bodied and they wanted help….she said she’s too old for that! Thanks that you’ve shared.
    Pershy recently posted..How to Make a Solar PanelMy Profile

• 3 June, 2012 at 2:14 pm

You’re welcome, Pershy.

• 5 June, 2012 at 8:01 am

What a great pespective. I spend so much time looking at the inadequate number of men in the early childhood field that I didn’t even stop to consider the similarities with aged care. If anything there may even be less men working with the aged. Two completely different worlds with so many parallels.
    Greg (Males in Early Childhood) recently posted..Make Everyday Father’s DayMy Profile

• 5 June, 2012 at 8:19 am

So true, Greg. In my many years employed as a long term care activity director, I was lucky to hire a couple male activity assistants. The men liked having a group lead by him and the women enjoyed his attention. In the same way, children grow through interactions with both men and women.

• 6 June, 2012 at 3:55 pm

JoAnn,

I noticed this phenomenon when I was doing therapy in nursing homes. I appreciate your reminder to all of us that older men may have different needs and interests than older women. The playlist looks like a good way to start recognizing men a bit more.

Warmly,
    Ann
    Ann Becker-Schutte recently posted..Sometimes Self-Care is HardMy Profile

• 6 June, 2012 at 5:22 pm

When men are absent from my groups I sometimes ask the ladies to list songs that name or mention a man. It is a difficult task as so many they enjoy singing mention women.

• 12 June, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Those two songs definitely cross generations, Carolyn. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Comments are closed.