Drum circles can be a big hit with older adults when properly introduced and paced. I often include a drumming portion in my music enrichment sessions at area assisted living facilities.
Even more special is leading a intergenerational drum circle of assisted living residents, preschoolers, and their parents. The energy, smiles, and verbal exchanges are a total blast.
One the Music Sparks offering you can schedule at your Senior Living Community or your family gathering is Families in Rhythm (F.I.R.). Schedule a consultation to learn more about this and other services.
Here are a few details about an F.I.R. sessions.
- There are lots of rhymes, singing, drumming and moving by those in attendance.
- The WHOLE family age 3 – 99 can enroll and take part.
- Those without a family member can enroll and be a part of our rhythm family.
- No prior drumming experience is required.
- All percussion equipment is provided.
Here is a fun, simple chant you can use with an intergenerational drum group. I give you 4 examples of endless ways the group can modify the playing of the chant.http://youtu.be/-Bg9j13bAFM
Have you ever taken part in an intergenerational drum group? If so, please share your experiences in the comments below.
* Would you like to know about upcoming groups in the Hays, KS area? Join the Bright Ideas newsletter so you can get in on the musical fun!
- Drums a hit at senior center (tbo.com)