Summer officially begins on June 21, 2011. Why not celebrate the day with songs? Here are a few songs older adults may recognize.
- In the Good Old Summertime
- “Tis the last Rose of Summer
- June is Busting Out All Over (Be sure and check out the song spotlight and song writing info at Soundscape Music Therapy)
- Summer Wind
- We’ll Sing in the Sunshine
- Beach Baby
- By the Sea
You can bring in more senses with old pictures of swim suits, picture of a fan blowing on a block of ice (old-time air conditioning), a beach ball, a pale with shovel, maybe a little sand to run through the fingers (or toes), coconut butter, baby oil (an old-time sun tanning lotion) just to name a few.
As for this traveling music therapist, I’m cranking up the AC and the tunes while I share a few memories of summers passed around the Hays, Kansas area.
For those who work with children, check out this article
- Easy Summertime Music Fun With Your Child (musicsparks.wordpress.com)