I love to find reasons to celebrate and to add something special to a day. And the official birthday of the Queen (June 13th) is no exception. In my days employed as an Activity Director in long-term care (both assisted living and skilled nursing facilities), this was a fun way to interject the afternoon snack time into an event.
We general planned an afternoon tea. Prior to the event a cooking group might prepare scones and finger sandwiches. I would gather trivia about the royal family. Much of that information was available through resources including Creative Forecasting and Activity Connections often in trivia form. At times, some of the residents had visited England and would share their memories of the country.
Music was also included and here are just a few items:
- God Save the Queen – We would then discusses “America” and our country’s ties to Britain.
- Happy Birthday
- Some Day My Prince will Come – Royal wedding easily fit into a conversation after this one.
- Lavender Blue – What moments in life have you felt like royalty or very special?
- Jerusalem (for those who don’t know this one, see this YouTube video as has lyrics printed in the comments).
Enjoy the official birthday of the Queen!
- The Queen’s real (but not official) birthday (changehere.wordpress.com)